Monday, October 1, 2012

Don't Stare Too Long at a Closing Door

October is here!! That means we are that much closer to Braylon's 1st Birthday.  I cannot believe how fast this year has gone by.  Planning is underway for a birthday party full of fall festivities!!  As his first year draws to a close I think back on all we have been through leading up to this point and what lies ahead. 

Parents never want to hear there is something wrong with their child.  It kind of feels like someone just walked up out of the blue and slapped you across the face, "how'd ya like that??"...mixed with a little stomach Twister, "small intestine - blue!"  On top of that you add all of the emotions and whew, it's very overwhelming!!

The next step is to try and process what you have just heard and think of every possible question you can.  Of course the doctor asks if you have any questions and it takes you like 10 minutes to respond (you always think of the good ones once you have walked out the door).  Then you get home and immediately start researching!!

Many people have asked me how I have stayed so calm through all of this.  Well here is the truth...I have not!! I stay strong when I need to be, but I have my moments of weakness too.  It took me a little while to wrap my head around all of this.  I kept questioning why this would happen to us as parents and wondering how we were going to get through it.  A friend of mine helped me to put it all into perspective. 

We were talking shortly after Braylon's first trip to the neurologist and discussing what the doctor said.  She informed me that we were special parents, and not everyone was cut out to handle this.  After talking with her for a little while longer, I felt a bit of relief for the first time since all of this began.  It was so simple, yet so fulfilling.  I then knew why we were chosen as Braylon's parents.  This was just all part of God's plan!!

From that moment on I have been determined to take everything one day at a time and keep a positive outlook.  We are never given more than we can handle...although sometimes I have to remind myself of that!!  Each day is different and some are better than others.  I won't bore you with all the minor details, but every time Braylon does something new or reaches a milestone it gives me that much more hope that he will conquer this!!

Side note...I LOVE QUOTES!!  A lot of my inspiration comes from them...If you are wondering about this post, it came from the following:

"Sometimes we stare so long at a door that is closing that we see too late the one that is open."



1 comment:

  1. It is such a blessing to your Aunt Jan & I to see Braylon's pictures, that smile & those expressions. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete