Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Keep Your Face to the Sunshine and You Cannot See the Shadow

Where do I begin...I have had this feeling that I am supposed to tell my story (pretty sure it is a God thing).  It has been nagging at me for a few weeks now.  After much thought and consideration, here it goes. 

This is my story of our Little Ray of Sunshine, Braylon.  For those of you that know him, you know why I call him that!!  He has recently been diagnosed with Dandy-Walker Syndrome - a brain malfunction where portions of the brain are absent.  Sometimes it just helps to talk to someone and get things out in the open.  I thought the best way I could do this would be through a blog.  This way I can keep friends and family informed and possibly even reach out to others with this diagnosis.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of a good title for this blog.  I wrote down words that described Braylon and decided to look at some different quotes.  As I was reading through my descriptive words, sunshine stood out.  I then came across the quote, "keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow."  As crazy as it may seem, this was in my fortune cookie just last week!!  At the time I wasn't sure what to think of it...well, now I know.

It hit me like a ton of bricks, that was the perfect title.  The more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  Braylon truly is our Little Ray of Sunshine.  He will brighten anyone's day with his smile, and not to mention that hair!  That red hair is definitely a conversation starter.  The down side is the shadow, what I consider this diagnosis to be.  However, if we can all focus on the positive, we will get through it!

My goal is to document his journey through this.  I will try my best to keep up with it all as much as possible.  I have great intentions, as I know most bloggers do!  I will try to start with a back-story from the beginning and get everyone caught up to date.  I am looking forward to sharing this with all of you!!



3 comments:

  1. Hey Brittany,
    Knew something was going on with Braylon since ya'll have been at the hospital getting so many tests lately I am glad you decided to share! We at the Pace house will be keeping you guys in our prayers and that God will work with and through ya'll!
    Love
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following!! Praying for y'all! Loved getting to see you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Tonyia, Justin's moms first cousin. Dee's mother Mae is my mother's sister. I will be following your story and praying for you all each and every day. Our son Quincy was diagnosed with Autism at about age 2. I know the fear and trepidation you are feeling now.... the desperate need to find information and supporters and others going through what you are going through ..... but fear not! God has chosen you and Justin to be the parents of this special little ray of sunshine and know in your heart that he will lead you in the right direction and give you the strength to deal with this! We love you guys and will keep you in our thoughts! If you ever need to bend an ear, please don't hesitate to call me (you can get my number from Kim). Peace and Love, Tonyia Haynes

    ReplyDelete